Guide to Marketing KPIs & Metrics
Sign up and get 5 minute KPI lessons delivered to your inbox every day.
Facebook Engagement Definition
The Engagement metric measures the effectiveness of your posts and how much you are connecting with your fans. In Facebook, engagement metrics are calculated based on the number of likes, comments, shares, and clicks your posts are generating. These metrics are considered the most important when looking at the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns and overall strategy. Facebook’s algorithm uses page engagements to determine which news feeds your posts will show up in and the overall reach of your posts.
You can review and compare your performance over time, using line graphs to show the number of likes, comments, shares, and clicks your page is generating each month. You can also review each post individually in terms of the number of likes, comments, shares, and clicks it generated. This can help a company determine which posts are the most engaging and what content is most interesting to your fans. When a fan engages with your posts it will appear on their timeline and their friends will see your content, helping increase your brand’s awareness.
- Likes: The number of people who click the like button on your post.
- Comments: The number of people who comment on your posts. These are visible on your page, found under the post the user commented on.
- Shares: The number of times a user shares your post on their own page. This will show in their timelines as well.
- Clicks: The number of times a user clicks on an image or link in your post. This will take users to the link you choose.
- Reach: The number of people who have seen your post in their timelines. For boosted posts (Facebook Ads), you will be shown the reach as organic and paid.
- An increase in overall engagement.
- An increase in post reach.
- An increase in website visits from Facebook.
Facebook Engagement Benchmarks
- Above 1% engagement rate is good.
- 0.5%-0.99% is average.
- Below 0.5% engagement likely means that you need to realign your messages to that of your audience’s expectations – and in the process attract more compelling and engaging contributions from your community members.
Facebook Engagement Challenges
What’s challenging about Facebook Engagement is that it is not solely dependant on efforts on the platform. It is important to integrate your Facebook Page with your website, other social media platforms and even offline initiatives to get the most out of your Facebook Page and see an increase in Engagement. Garrett Sloane from AdWeek wrote an interesting article about cross-platform marketing that has proven to increase engagement for brands on all platforms, even those where campaigns were not present.
Facebook Engagement Best Practices
- You should monitor your rate of engagement consistently because they will fluctuate a lot. Perhaps even daily. But remember to keep your marketing objectives in mind at all times. Engagement means nothing if it doesn’t stimulate your audience to action.
- Successful Facebook marketers measure engagement, but are focused on actions. For example purchases, newsletter sign-ups, downloads or simply visiting your website or landing page. Keep in mind that it has become very easy to measure conversions to actions.
- People don’t want to hear about your products all the time. Ask questions, post photos, have a Facebook contest, crowed source for answers, have a call to action and implement Facebook Ads.
- Timing is extremely important when it comes to posting on any social networks. Imagine updating your wall post when everyone is at work or when they are sleeping. It would be better to post after work or when people are in transit. These are the times that people are most likely to check for updates on their social network accounts. Use Buffer to find the right time to post. Buffer has proven to increase Facebook engagement as users are posting at the right times.
How to Monitor Facebook Engagement Metrics in Real-time
Once you have established benchmarks and targets for Facebook Engagement, you’ll want to establish processes for monitoring this and other social media KPIs. Dashboards can be critical in this regard.
Learn more about how to track your Facebook Engagement Metrics on a Social Media Dashboard.