Starter Guide to LinkedIn Analytics
LinkedIn is a social media platform for professionals and businesses to share and consume business-oriented content. While LinkedIn earned its reputation as a place to network and look for a job, it’s evolved into a valuable content sharing platform for people and businesses.
In this starter guide to LinkedIn analytics, we’ll cover:
- What is LinkedIn analytics?
- What’s the difference between LinkedIn in-app analytics and LinkedIn analytics tools?
- How can a LinkedIn analytics dashboard help me reach my goals?
- LinkedIn statistics that every digital marketer needs to know
- Types of LinkedIn metrics: Page analytics versus ad analytics
- How to connect to the LinkedIn API
What is LinkedIn analytics?
LinkedIn has quickly become an important pillar of any B2B social media marketing strategy. Optimize your marketing strategy by using your LinkedIn analytics data. Track your engagement metrics like comments, likes, and shares for your LinkedIn business page and advertising campaigns to understand your performance.
What’s the difference between LinkedIn in-app analytics and LinkedIn analytics tools?
LinkedIn In-App Analytics
LinkedIn has a free analytics tool that measures the effectiveness of your social strategy or ad performance. The LinkedIn analytics tool provides information to social media managers, marketers, and content creators to understand your audience and the type of content they engage with most.Within LinkedIn, you can measure:
- Visitor demographics metrics like job function and location
- Engagement on your posts like impressions, clicks, and comments
- Follower growth
- Employee advocacy analytics
LinkedIn Analytics Tools
So if LinkedIn provides basic engagement metrics, why should you use a third-party analytics tool like PowerMetrics to track your data?A LinkedIn analytics dashboard in PowerMetrics provides you with:
- The ability to combine LinkedIn data with your marketing data from Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram
- Frequent data refresh rates so you’re always accessing the most up-to-date information
- Instant metrics for additional marketing data sources like Hubspot or Google Analytics
- An easy to share dashboard to share with your team and other stakeholders who can’t access LinkedIn analytics
How can a LinkedIn analytics dashboard help me reach my goals?
A LinkedIn analytics dashboard is an essential tool to help you understand and grow your social media presence.
- Keep your LinkedIn data top of mind. Don’t let your LinkedIn analytics get lost in the shuffle of Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. LinkedIn is a key channel to market to other businesses and increase your employer brand to attract and retain talent.
- Make an impact with your LinkedIn data. Present your LinkedIn analytics with stunning charts and graphs to help your readers take action.
- Foster a culture of collaboration. Pull your data out of the LinkedIn platform so you and your team can access the insights that will help to grow your presence and turn your employees into advocates.
- Understand if you are successfully reaching your target audience. If you’re not reaching your target audience, who are you reaching?
LinkedIn statistics every digital marketer or social media manager needs to know
- LinkedIn has 790M members. It may not be the largest social network (compared to Instagram’s 1B users, for example), it’s still a large business-focused audience that is eager to engage.
- Content creation on Linkedin increased by 60% in 2020 with audiences more engaged than ever.
- Brands have seen a 33% increase in purchase intent as a result of LinkedIn advertising exposure.
- A LinkedIn ad has the potential to reach 13% of the world's population over the age of 13.
- LinkedIn Ads have over 200 characteristics that you can use for audience targeting.
LinkedIn Page Metrics
Followers is the number of users who have chosen to follow another user’s or company’s posts, such as via Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook or Instagram.
Post Engagement is the count of the total number of interactions with an individual post.
Post Engagement Rate
Track the ratio of interactions on a post to the total number of followers to understand your engagement rate.
LinkedIn Ads Metrics
Track the amount of money spent on your ads so you can regulate performance.
Track the sum of total engagements within an ad campaign.
Track the percentage of clicks that generate impressions.