Free Guide to Marketing KPIs
Get smarter with a 5-day course on marketing metrics delivered in easy-to-digest emails.
Keyword Click-Through Rate Definition
Keyword Click-Through Rate metrics measure how often your listings on the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) generates clicks compared the number of times your listing appears in search results. While keyword ranking metrics are the bread and butter of SEO analytics, click-through rates demonstrate how effective your listings are at prompting clicks.
This KPI has also been paired with another important web analytics metric: Goal Completion Rate (GCR). GCR measures the number of goals completed by visitors coming through a particular channel, such as organic search. While few doubt the impact of highly ranked keywords on your SEO traffic, smart marketers ensure that traffic generating keywords also generate new business. Learn more about tracking similar web analytics metrics on a Google Analytics dashboard.
- Click-Through Rate: The number of clicks compared to the total number of search impressions.
- Goals: A marketing objective for your audience to complete, such as subscribing to a mailing list.
- Completion rate: The number of web visitors divided by the number of goals completed.
- Organic Traffic: Visitors that discover your website by entering searching a keyword in a search engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo) and that click on your listing.
- A high click-through rate for a search term.
- A high goal completion rate for a search term.
Keyword Click-Through Benchmarks
Google AdWords released industry benchmarks for both search and display click-through rate. Here are highlights of the data for search:
Health & Medical: 1.79%
Real Estate: 2.03%
Consumer Services: 2.40%
Keyword Click-Through Rate Best Practices
Attractive search results, especially those with images and well-written meta-descriptions, are much more likely to attract visitors. Here are some experts tips for a high keyword click-through rate:
- Data is helpful for SEOs when creating projections. If you know existing rank positions, search volume, and can estimate new ranking positions, you can create an approximate forecast of the SEO work to help rationalize budgets, resources and time commitments.
How to Monitor Keyword Click-Through Rate in Real-time
The Keyword Click-Through Rate should be coupled with related web metrics to provide a complete view of your digital marketing performance. Consider tracking this KPI alongside the goal completion rate metric on a SEO dashboard.
Keyword Click-Through Rate: Top Resources
Google Organic Click-Through Rates in 2014, Philip Petrescu
Google’s 200 Ranking Factors: The Complete List, Brian Dean
Maximizing Your CTR for SEO in Organic Results, Adam Audette